"Sweat-equity" is when a partner family takes part in building their own home and other Habitat homes and may include activities such as clearing the lot, painting, helping with construction, working in the Habitat office or ReStore, educational hours or other approved activities.
- MCHFH has a requirement of 250 sweat equity hours per adult applicant, 100 each of what must be done in construction
- A two-adult household is required to perform a minimum of 30 hours per week.
- A single-adult family is required to complete 15 hours per week.
- A portion of the sweat equity hours can be completed by family and friends.
- All of the hours must be completed before the partner family does the final closing on the home (before they move in).
In addition, the partner family must also be willing to attend home buyer education classes.